This database has been developped as part of the project « Cellule de veille sur l’évolution de la production et des transferts d’armes en Belgique, en Europe et dans le monde », funded by the Walloon Region with the support of the UNSCAR. All the materials and information compiled in this database are of the sole responsibility of GRIP and nor the Walloon Region neither the UNSCAR can be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
2. How it works
This database has been developped and updated by GRIP with a view to document all arms embargoes decided or enforced by international and regional organisations since 2000. It purports to deliver the essential details for each country or entity subject to one or several arms embargoes, including :
- The amendments in the arms embargo’s provisions since its inception
- The different types of arms and equipment covered
- The different types of operations covered (exports, imports, brokering, assistance, etc.)
- The various actors involved
- The geographic scope and duration of sanctions.
The database gathers information on all arms embargoes decided as from or already in force in 2000. The following organisations have established and enforced arms embargoes since that time : the United Nations, the Economic Community of West African States, the League of Arab States, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the African Union and the European Union.
For further information on sanctions compiled in this database, please consult the official documents establishing the embargoes.
For further general information on an arms embargo, please refer to the following GRIP’s papers :
- le Rapport du GRIP L’ONU et le contrôle des embargos sur les armes – Entre surveillance et vérification (Virginie Moreau)
- la Note d’Analyse Les embargos sur les armes de l’Union européenne. Des mesures symboliques? (Virginie Moreau)
This database does NOT deal with other types of sanctions often accompanying arms embargoes, such as assets freeze, diplomatic restrictions or travel bans. For an overview thereof, please consult the EU Sanctions Map project.
For any questions or comments on this database, please contact the person responsible for the database here